Flip-Side News: Humorless Opposers Claim "Sister Proof" in Bad Taste

What did Geoffrey Jackson mean when he called the revised edition of the New World Translation released at the 2013 Annual Meeting as "sister proof"? Was he being sexist? No! He said it when he was talking about the physical durability of the new edition. He was being complimentary. The sisters are in the ministry far more than the brothers, which means they open their Bibles a lot more, wearing them out faster. Thus, when he highlighted the sisters with this comment, he was referring to their commendable ministry. (Psalm 68:11) I understood this immediately. There was no ambiguity with one such as myself who actually participates in the ministry and respects the work of the sisters. The publications have mentioned this fact about the sisters many times, so it is nothing new to a faithful member of the organization.

The humor wasn't in the fact that sisters wear out their Bibles, but in the unexpectedness of the comment and its exaggeration. Besides, sisters laughed as much, if not harder than the men. They didn't get offended because they no doubt felt appreciated by it. Though I won't say that some few who look for fault didn't find fault with it. But most sisters did not. I knew a sister who was not as well educated as most sisters (That is, she wasn't as likely to understand a sophisticated joke,) and had a history of finding fault (We all have things we need to work on,) no doubt laughed as loud as anyone, because even she could have understood the meaning of it. And if she didn't, she would have been wise enough to ask the meaning of it before deciding on whether she should be offended by it.

Comments

Mike Smith said…
All of the members of the Governing Body in this presentation showed their lighter side. It was enjoyable and the most who would find fault are those looking to be offended. There are a number of ways you could take the statement, some general, some practical (for example maybe they are a bit more exacting on appearance, or makeup cleans off more easily, or as you mentioned they are the primary ones in the ministry), but it was evident it was not meant to be derogatory.
Dismythed said…
Good points, brother. Indeed, it's the power of positive versus negative thinking. Those seeking fault can find fault in anything. It's such a pitiable state of mind.
Anonymous said…
The sisters in my congregation were certainly taking the light-hearted comment as a compliment! We know who meets every day in great numbers to go out and wear out their Bibles!
Anonymous said…
Even I´m not a Jehovah`s Witness (but I´m a woman) I do agree with your explanation. To see the sister proof saying critically is the result of an over-interpretation. I would love to get one edition but I´m living in a non English speaking country (Europe).
Dismythed said…
You can still get a digital copy online at JW.org.
Anonymous said…
The minute that statement came out of the brothers mouth, the apostates were already busy picking it apart. Amazing really. There is NOTHING about Jehovah's organization that an apostate is not capable of finding fault with. If I was an unbiased observer, this would make me kind of suspicious about the veracity of their claims. I hope honest hearted ones can see the opposers for what they really are: liars and trouble makers.
Dismythed said…
Cumberland, after considering some scriptures, I realized that it is best to not let you continue to disrupt the peace of my blog any further. You appear to have a very specific goal of trying to upset me, but I have preferred to be at peace. But to be pleasing to Jehovah, I need to not allow the Truth to be spoken of abusively any further. (1 Timothy 6:2-5; 1 Peter 2:12)
Sean Killackey said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dismythed said…
Sorry, Sean. I had to redact some text. Dialog with apostates should not be encouraged by its mention. They must be shunned.
Robert said…
I agree with Mike. I liked how the Governing Body, though with serious responsibility, could have fun. I liked when Splane, I think, was flexing the Bible to show its durability, and I think it was Brother Herd who said he wasn't going to "twist the scriptures" like the previous speaker did.

That was the best joke of the day, to me anyway, though I cannot remember who did the "twisting" and so on.

lol
Dismythed said…
LOL. Yeah, I loved the "twisting the scriptures" joke.